Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Staycation in NYC

For Labor Day weekend instead of battling crowds and traffic at the beach, I decided to do a staycation in NYC.  I enjoyed a blissful, relatively deserted city full of fun activities.

Saturday included catching up with a friend over brunch at the pint-sized french bistro, Tartine. Hearing about my friend's recent engagement, my oh-so delicious croque monsieur and seeing Meg Ryan casually walk past in on the street were definitely fun ways to start the weekend.
That afternoon, I wandered down Broome St. through Soho and into the Lower Eastside. I was delighted to discover Mulberry St. was blocked off from Broome to Canal. I felt like I was in a European city with all the cafes spilling onto the streets and patrons sipping wine and chatting over wonderfully long three hour lunches.
Little Italy quickly turned to Chinatown marked by a bustling, hurried pace. Shoppers armed with pink plastic bags carefully selected the freshest items from tables brimming with fruit and vegetables.
My final stop in the Lower Eastside was the new-to-me Hester St. Fair, which housed a great collection of vintage clothing and handmade goods. I wish I hadn't still been full from lunch, as the food vendors looked fantastic. Loaded lobster rolls, homemade ice cream sandwiches, fresh coffee and homemade spice blends.
A majority of Sunday was spent working on projects around my apartment (pictures coming soon!) Sunday night I met a friend for drinks at the Spotted Pig and ended up dancing the night away at Avenue Lounge.

After a slow start yesterday, I ventured out of Manhattan over to Brooklyn for the Labor Day West Indian Parade. Colorful dancers, huge floats and heart thumping Caribbean music made for a great afternoon. Not to mention, the bbq jerk chicken and sweet potato pie were delicious.
After the parade, I hopped back on the subway and headed to the Bronx for the ABC Carpet & Home outlet sale. I picked up a Madeline Weinrib rug for a steal (look for it in my new office!)

All in all, a fantastic weekend filled with great events, good friends and lots of rearranging in my apt.

What did you do this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it sounds like you had a fantastic time this weekend. So much to see and do, like they say I have places to go, people to visit, and things to do, and you did!

    I had a nice romantic lunch with my honey by the Applegate river, then a stroll through the historic town of Jacksonville, stopped in a wonderful antique store to browse, had a very pleasant and beautiful day, thanks for asking.

    I especially enjoyed your part about the food and the dancing, I love to dance!

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

Share |
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...